|Centre of Advanced Faculty Training (CAFT)
(Indian Council of Agricultural Research)
(Established in the year 1995 AD vide O.O. No.1-2/93(CAS)/UNDP dated 11.11.1994)
Department of Veterinary Microbiology
Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences Hisar-125004 (Haryana) India
Dr. Sanjay Kapoor
Department of Veterinary Microbiology,
ICAR Centre for Advanced Faculty Training
in Veterinary Microbiology
Department of Veterinary Microbiology,
Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences
Hisar-125004 (Haryana) India
Phone: 01662-256104 (O)
Mobile: 09354325830 (Mobile)
Foundations of the Department that led to its recognition by the ICAR as the Centre of Advanced Studies in Veterinary Microbiology:
- Established as Department of Bacteriology & Hygiene in 1965, the department took lead for teaching & research activities in the disciplines of veterinary microbiology & immunology:
- The department is known to the scientific world of microbiology & immunology for its pioneering and outstanding contributions in:
- Virology: a) poxviruses, particularly buffalopox virus and capripox viruses, b) Foot-and-mouth disease virus, particularly A22 subtype, extensive epidemiology & sero-monitoring of FMD control programme, c) bovine rotaviruses, particularly buffalo rotavirus electropherotyping & molecular diagnostics, d) first isolation of equine herpes virus-1 and blue-tongue virus, and e) infectious bursal disease virus IV95 vaccine & immunity.
- Bacteriology & Mycology: a) Enterobacteriaceae: new serotypes of Salmonella (S. Hissar), Arizona,Edwardsiella tarda and E. coli, and molecular studies, b) avian mycoplasmas, c) Pasteurella multocida B:2: DNA diagnostics & sero-monitoring of HS vaccination programme, and d) Cryptococcus neoformans, C. laurentii and Rhodotorula rubra.
- Immunology (since 1984 AD): a) Immunology of buffalo and camel Igs, b) Bacterial and parasitic immunity, particularly Trypanosoma evansi and Schistosoma spp., c) Experimental vaccines of Salmonellla Typhimurium, biofilm-forming Staphylococcus aureus and Pasteurella spp., d) Penside test for surra in animal spp, e) Immunobiologicals production technologies: Hybridoma, phage display technology for single-domain antibodies, rDNA technology for genetically engineered antigens and novel technology for synthesis and applications of polyacrylamide gels catalyzed by silver nitrate as novel catalyst discovered.
- Research by students and faculty published in high impact peered-reviewed national & international journals.
- Veterinary Microbiology and Veterinary Immunology as separate disciplines for under-graduate and post-graduate programmes of study.
- Books, instructional materials and teaching aids prepared by the faculty as valuable tools to equip students with updated knowledge.
- Several students and alumni bagged national & international prizes, awards, honors, distinctions, scholarships, fellowships, etc. for accomplishments in academics, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Faculty won several coveted awards, prizes, fellowships, etc., including Rafi Ahmad Kidwai Memorial Prize, Hari Om Ashram Trust Awards, ICAR Team Research Award, Commonwealth Scholarship & Fellowship, Post-doctoral Fellowships, Fellows of National Academy, National Fellows, National Professor, etc. at various times over more than four decades.
Dr. Sanjay Kapoor, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (UK) [Director of CAFT]
Dr. Surinder K. Kadian, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (UK)
Dr. Naresh K. Kakker, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D., PDF (UK)
Dr. (Mrs) Archana Sharma, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr. Jagveer Rawat, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (UK)
Dr Swati Dahiya, B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Rajesh Chhabra. B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (UK)
Dr. Anshul Lather B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Akhil Kumar B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Mahavir Singh B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Parveen Kumar B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Anita Dalal B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Sanjeevna Kumari B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)
Dr Rahul Yadav B.V.Sc. & A.H., M.V.Sc., Ph.D. (INDIA)