The Department of Veterinary Anatomy started functioning in 1948 with the establishment of the Camp Veterinary College at Hisar affiliated to Punjab University. This department has a distinction to be housed in the very first building of the campus, whose foundation stone was laid by Dr.Punjab Rao Deshmukh, Union Minister of Agriculture on 2nd October, 1955. The department had the privilege of shifting in the newly constructed building in 1957 which accommodated the whole faculty of Veterinary and Animal Sciences at that time. Presently, this building is being shared by the department of Veterinary Anatomy and Veterinary Physiology & Biochemistry. The department has a separate dissection hall provided with all modern facilities, modern undergraduate histology laboratory, oesteology laboratory and a fully equipped postgraduate research laboratory for histology and Histochemistry. These laboratories are well equipped with latest instruments and audio-visual aids. The department offers specialization in Gross Anatomy, Histology and Embryology disciplines.
The Department had been lucky that in its formative years it was headed by Dr. Gopal Singh an eminent gross anatomist of his time. He continued to head this department till the bifurcation of the University and Dr.Yashwant Singh the then Asstt. Professor took the charge as Head of the Department in Dec. 1968. Dr. L.D.Dhingra who was in United States for his higher studies at that time, after his return, in January, 1969 took over as Associate Professor cum Head of the Department and started the postgraduate programme in Veterinary Anatomy at this Institute from 1969. Dr.L.D.Dhingra was elevated to the post of Dean, College of Veterinary Sciences and then Dr.Yashwant Singh was entrusted to chair this department. In 1994, Dr.S.K.Nagpal took over as Head of the department who was succeeded by Dr.Suraj Kumar in 1997, Dr.A.N.Gupta in 2000 and Dr.Gurdial Singh in 2006. Head of the Department :
Dr. Pawan Kumar