Veterinary Public Health & Epidemiology
The Department of Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology established in 1978 and is engaged in teaching, research and extension activities which include teaching of three (3) under-graduate and twenty five (25) post-graduate courses besides two diploma courses. Research activities broadly include Public Health (food hygiene, zoonoses and environmental hygiene) and Epidemiology (animal & poultry disease investigations), and lot of farmers visit department daily for disease diagnosis/investigation in poultry flocks, sheep flocks and cattle herds. Outbreaks throughout the state in different spp. are investigated and control and preventive measures are suggested for their containment. Disease Investigation Laboratories of the department also exist at six districts of the state, where field Veterinarians send samples or farmers bring cases/samples for disease diagnosis for mastitis, fecal examination, blood examination, antibiotic sensitivity testing, poultry D. I., outbreak investigation etc.. Extension activities are aimed at diagnostic and advisory services to farmers of Haryana, veterinary public health orientation and active participation in different trainings of farmers. Facilities are available on nominal charges for bacteriological testing of drinking water and adulteration of milk/synthetic milk/aflatoxin testing in feeds/grains and TB/JD screening of herds.
Department currently has having two RKVY projects, one non plan and five state plan projects. In addition, two national projects (one each from ICAR and DBT) have also been approved. Facilities have been created for molecular diagnosis of diseases, pesticide residue analysis in animal products and a food safety laboratory is being established. Regional Veterinary Diagnostic and Extension Centre of LUVAS have been established at Uchani, Karnal and Riwasa , Mahendergarh to provide specialized diagnostic services to livestock.
Disease Investigation Laboratories at outstations/K.V.Ks.
Facilities available at these laboratories for disease outbreak investigation in livestock poultry, analysis of milk/faecal/ blood samples, advice on prevention and control of diseases.
Head of the Department :
Dr. Ashok Kumar
Phone (O): 01662-256106
Fax : 01662-284312
|Dr. Ashok Kumar
||Principal Scientist and Head
|Dr. S. R. Garg
|Dr. N.K. Mahajan
||Professor (currently Dean CODST, LUVAS)
|Dr. Y. Singh
||Emeritus Scientist (ICAR)
|Dr. Naresh Jindal
||Principal Scientist (currently Coordinator of Research, LUVAS)
|Dr. Rajesh Khurana
|Dr. Vijay J. Jadhav
|Dr. Renu Gupta
|Dr. Dinesh Mittal
|Dr. Vandana Bhanot
||Asstt. Disease Investigation Officer, D. I. Laboratory, Ambala
|Dr. P. S. Cheema
||Asstt. Disease Investigation Officer, D. I. Laboratory, Sirsa,
|Dr. Ramesh Kumar
||Asstt. Disease Investigation Officer, D. I. Laboratory, Bhiwani
|Dr. Pallavi Moudgil
|Dr. Anand Prakash
||Asstt. Disease Investigation Officer, D. I. Laboratory, Hisar
|Dr. Pankaj Kumar
||Asstt. Disease Investigation Officer, D. I. Laboratory, Rohtak
Main laboratories in the department:-
- Disease Investigation laboratory molecular diagnostic facilities of real time PCR, PCR, ELISA etc. for livestock and poultry.
- Toxicology Laboratory for analysis of samples for toxic conditions, aflatoxins in feeds/ingredients, GC for pesticide residues.
- Food Safety Lab: for food borne pathogen detection, HPLC for antibiotic residue etc.
- Environmental Hygiene Lab: Testing of water samples for suitability for drinking for human/ animal consumption.
Supporting staff posted at Hisar
|Mr. Parveen Kumar
|Mr. Sunil Kansal
|Mr. Ram Saroop
|Mr. Inder Singh
|Mr. Surender Singh
||Sr. Lab Assistant
|Mr. Arjun Dev
|Mr. Keshav Dutt
|Mr. Ram Mahar
|Mr. Vikash Kumar
|Mr. Prem Singh
|Mrs. Illaichi Devi
||Animal Attendant (Jind)
|Mr. Sunil Kumar
- Large number of outbreaks are investigated every year in different spp. of livestock throughout the state of Haryana. Poultry diseases in 3 to 4 crore population of poultry birds are investigated every year.
- Developed spot test for detection of urea adulteration in milk (Dr. Gulshan Narang and Dr. R. S. Khokhar) Granted patent vide No. 250500 dated 6 January 2012 for the invention entitled “A PROCESS OF TESTING UREA IN MILK AND AN INDICATOR SOLUTION THEREOF”. The Business Planning and Development (Veterinary) Unit is selling the above kit and is available for commercialization.
- Developed field diagnostic test for diagnosis for Haemorrhagic Septicaemia in cattle buffaloes. (Dr. Parul Sharma and Dr. R. S. Khokhar) granted patent vide No. 233446 dated 30.03.2009) for the invention entitled “A Process for preparation of diagnostic reagent for testing of haemorrhagic septicemia in cattle and buffaloes.
- First report in literature of associating Mycoplasma F-38 with mastitis in cows.
- Enterotoxaemia in camel orchitis due to mange in camel & isolation of M. mycoides sub sp. mycoides (LC, type) and M.bovoculi from aborted foetues and frozen bull semen reported for 1st time.
- Prevalence of pathogenic Listeria, Aeromonas, Yersinia and Campylobacter recorded in the food of animal origin.
- Ph.D thesis entitled “Experimental epidemiological studies on Mycoplasma mycoides subspp. mycoides (Large colony type) isolated from natural bovine abortions” by Dr. P. K. Kapoor was awarded Jawaharlal Nehru award by ICAR for best thesis in 1995.
- Counter immuno electrophoresis test developed for demonstration of Brucella melitenis in stomach content of aborted fetuses of sheep for the first time.
- Cases of zoonotic diseases (Brucellosis and mange) confirmed in human beings.
Post graduate students/ Research assistants/ Senior research fellows
Seats available in M.V.Sc. (4 for Haryana Domicile, 2 for ICAR), each year for Ph. D 2+1; at present there are 8 MVSc and 8 Ph.D. students in the department.
1.Dr. Savyasanchi Tripathi
2.Dr. Adamu Saidu Saleh
3.Dr. Piyush Tomar
5. Dr Sumitra Panighari
6. Dr. Priyanka
7. Dr. Pooja
8. Dr. Abhilash Routray
1.Dr. Himani Sharma
2.Dr. Mukesh Kumari
3.Dr. Neelam Rani
6. Dr. Kushal Grakh
7. Dr. Puneet Jhandai
8. Dr. Mohammed Hamed Nawabi
1. Dr. Nitish Bansal
2. Dr. Renu Singh
3. Deepika Choudhary
(i) International projects
a) Surveillance and molecular epidemiology of especially dangerous respiratory viruses in backyard and commercial poultry and water fowl in India DTRA, USA in collaboration with UMN and Penn State, USA
b) Accelerating Bovine tuberculosis control in developing countries in collaboration with University of Pennsylvania (Countries: USA, UK, India, Ethiopia)
(iI) RKVY projects
- Upgradation of laboratory for quality assurance of foods of animal origin.
- Equipping the DI Lab Ambala with modern diagnostic and training facilities for farmers.
(iii) National projects
a) All India Coordinated Research Project on Animal Disease Monitoring and Surveillance (ICAR-NIVEDI)
b) Isolation, characterization and reposition of enteric viruses of poultry (NRCE, ICAR) Approved
(c) Studies on pathogenicity of fowl adenovirus isolate to be used as vaccine against HPS in poultry (DBT) Approved
(iii) State projects: Non-Plan-1, Plan-5
State projects: Non-Plan - 1
State: Plan Projects - 5
- Diagnostic services to livestock and poultry farmers in Haryana
- Research and referral laboratory at Hisar
- Epidemiology of infectious and toxic disease conditions of livestock and poultry in different regions of Haryana
- Safety aspects of food of animal origin
- Surveillance and monitoring of economically important diseases of livestock and poultry
- Disease investigation services and education of scheduled caste farmers of Haryana for better animal health
- Strengthening of disease diagnostic services and surveillance for important animal diseases in the state of Haryana under RKVY-1(67.5 lac)
- Bovine mycoplasmal reproductive disorders including the role of T-mycoplasma (Ureaplasma) National Fellow project sponsored by ICAR New-Delhi
- Corynebacterium ovis infection in sheep with special reference to epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and immunity sponsored by Government of Haryana (PL-480)
- Molecular biotechnological Approaches to rapid diagnosis and control of M.mycoides infection in animals, sponsored by CSIR, New-Delhi
- Development of diagnostic kit for the detection of cattle meat and its differentiation from buffalo meat, DBT, New-Delhi
- Speciation of meat for export APEDA, New-Delhi
- Development of facility for quality assurance of foods of animal origin
- Modernization of laboratories for better diagnostic facilities for farmers for economically important diseases of livestock and poultry
- iNetwork project on Outreach Programme on Zoonotic Diseases
- Modernization of disease investigation and toxicological laboratories and animal house facilities for better diagnostic facilities to livestock farmers
- Studies of food borne infections with special reference to Yersiniosis.
LIST OF EQUIPMENTS COSTING MORE THAN TWO LAKHS