The Department Animal Genetics and Breeding has been maintaining one HF crossbred (Hardhenu Strain) and two indigenous breeds (Sahiwal and Hariana) of cattle. There are total four research schemes ongoing at cattle farm, out of which one is ICAR-AICRP and three are state research schemes.
The Objectives under various research schemes are
- To Genetic improvement and multiplication of Hardhenu strain and indigenous breeds of cattle
- To conserve and improve the indigenous breeds through selective breeding.
- To provide consultancy to the needy farmers and entrepreneurs for establishment of commercial dairy farms.
- To disseminate superior germplasm to farmers, Gaushalas and NGOs.
||Dr. Z. S. Malik
||Prof. and Head
||Dr. C. S. Patil
||Dr. Yogesh Bangar
||Dr. Manoj Kumar
||Assistant Professor (LFC)
||Dr. Anil Chitra
Contact Email: email@example.com, Phone (O): 01662-256119
Hardh enu Cattle
- This is synthetic population of crossbreds having 62.5% exotic inheritance with predominance of Holstein Frisian developed through Selection and Interbreeding since 1986.
- This is most popular and suitable to agro-climatic conditions of Haryana.
- Current herd strength is 300.
- The average mature lactation yield is 4194 kg during 305 days.
- The highest peak yield and highest fat% is 40.2 kg and 3.8%, respectively.
- The age at first calving, service period and calving interval are 36, 4 and 13 months, respectively.
- Current herd strength is 230.
- The average mature lactation yield is 2450 kg during 280 days.
- The highest peak yield and highest fat% is 19 kg and 5.2%, respectively.
- The age at first calving, service period and calving interval are 42, 5 and 14.5 months, respectively.
- All the females of Sahiwal breed are being inseminated with the semen of Sahiwal bulls from NDRI, Karnal so as to produce the next generation.
- Current herd strength is 50.
- The average mature lactation yield is 1920 kg during 280 days.
- The highest peak yield and highest fat% is 21.9 kg and 4.8%, respectively.
- The age at first calving, service period and calving interval are 42, 4.5 and 14 months, respectively.
- All the females of Hariana breed are being inseminated with the semen of selected males born at our farm.
Bull Exercise area
Semen Collection Area
Major Achievements: National Kamdhenu Award (2017) for conservation and Genetic improvement of Hariana and Sahiwal Cattle